What is a unit of alcohol?
According to the NHS, one unit of alcohol is equivalent to 10ml of pure alcohol. In terms of standard drinks measurements, there are approximately:
- 2 units in one pint of low strength beer or cider (3.6%)
- 3 units in one pint of high strength beer or cider (5.2%)
- 2.1 units in one 175ml glass of average strength wine (12%)
- 3 units in one 250ml glass of average strength wine (12%)
- 1 unit in a single measure of spirit (25ml)
However, this is not an exact science and many other factors can affect how quickly or slowly your body breaks down alcohol. These include:
- Stress levels
- Medication you may be taking
- Type and strength of the alcohol consumed
For more information about how long alcohol stays in the system, click here.