- Great insurance cover for couriers
- Call our UK based call centre for a competitive quote
- Bespoke policies available
If you’re a courier who transports goods from one country to another in continental Europe, you will need to take out CMR insurance.
What is CMR insurance?
CMR stands for ‘Convention on the contract for the international carriage of goods by road’, and was made a legal requirement in the UK by the Carriage of Goods by Road Act 1965 and is a legally compulsory for UK hauliers who transport goods throughout the nations of Europe that have also signed up to the requirement of this insurance
If you are only transporting goods between the UK, the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands and the Republic of Ireland, you will not need CMR Insurance.
What does CMR insurance cover you for?
CMR Insurance provides a similar level of cover to Goods in Transit Insurance, and covers you for a wide range of instances:
- Theft: thieves operate in all countries, and often target larger vehicles like vans or HGVs.
- Accidents on and off road.
- Natural disasters: if your vehicle or goods are damaged by an earthquake, flooding, fire or by any other forces of nature, you’ll be able to make a claim.
What can affect the cost of your insurance premium?
If you’re going to be transporting and delivering someone else’s goods, your insurance is going to be more expensive than standard vehicle insurance.
However, there are a variety of factors that could affect your premiums:
- The type of vehicle you drive. The larger your vehicle, the more expensive your insurance policy will be.
- Where you drive. For CMR insurance, you will be asked to provide details of the countries where you regularly deliver goods.
- Where your vehicle is stored when it’s not in use.
- Your age and how much driving experience you have.
- The type of goods you will be transporting. If you often transport large amounts of expensive jewellery, for example, your premiums will be higher than if you deliver pet food.
Why choose us for your CMR insurance?
Here at Insurance Revolution, we pride ourselves in always providing affordable CMR insurance cover quotes to our customers. We don’t believe you should pay ridiculous amounts for your CMR cover, that’s why we always assess each and every application on an individual basis, so we can create a quote that’s right for your circumstances. Get in touch today for a free, no-obligation CMR insurance quote.
Will Brexit affect CMR insurance?
You may be wondering how the UK leaving the EU will affect your CMR insurance, unfortunately, at this moment in time we do not have all the answers. The UK and the EU are currently in a transitional period between now and the 1st of January 2021 while arrangements for Brexit are being negotiated, but until this date the current rules on international haulage will continue to apply. We should have more information closer to the 1st of January date.